Fishing, Hunting & Travel Map
View More Articles
- Despite having a slower metabolism, walleyes still feed throughout the winter.
- During the winter, walleye eat less than 1% of their body weight as compared to the summer when they eat approximately 3%.
- Walleye generally feed around sunrise and sunset during the winter and particularly in clear water.
- Sometimes walleye establish a smaller home-range during the winter, usually only a fraction of the size of their summer range.
- On smaller lakes walleye generally stay close to most traditional structures such as steep-breaking humps, deeper portions of long points and deep saddles.
- At late-ice, the walleye move shallower, often closer to areas where spawning will take place.