Northwest Ontario
Fishing, Hunting & Travel Map

Patricia Region - Canada's Heartland Overview:

The most important thing: How to get here!

Here is a road map of Canada's Heartland
If you are driving, take a look at the detailed driving directions to Canada's Heartland
Flying to us? Check our our Air Connection Information

Car Travel:
A valid driver's license from any country is good in Canada for 3 months. If you're driving across the border, bring the vehicle registration forms and a free Canadian Non Resident Insurance Card from your insurance agent, or the policy itself. If you are driving a rented car, include a copy of the rental contract. A membership card from your local A.A.A. (American Auto Association) Branch entitles you to all benefits from the O.M.L. (Ontario Motor League).

Car Rentals:
Automobile rentals are available at airports and in many of Canada's towns and cities. Most companies require a credit reference and minimum age of 21.

Speed Limits:
All speed limits in Canada are posted in kilometers per hour. Multi-lane controlled access highways: 90-100 km/h (55-62 mph); two lane highways: 80-90 km/h (50-55 mph); urban and other populated areas: 40-60 km/h (25-37 mph) or as posted. The use or transport of radar detection devices is illegal in Canada.

The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are responsible for the highways and other areas including the inland lakes and waterways not served by municipal police forces. You can reach them locally at 1-888-310-1122. The police must be notified of any accident resulting in a personal injury or property damage over $400.00 and you must remain at the scene of the accident until cleared by the investigating officers. First Aid Stations are clearly posted.


Mileage and distance to Canada's Heartland

  Kilometres Miles
Boston 3,050 1,830
Buffalo 2,396 1,438
Chicago 1,397 838
Cleveland 1,936 1,162
Dallas 2,381 1,429
Des Moines 1,064 638
Detroit 1,839 1,103
International Falls 162 97
Kansas 1,459875
Milwaukee 1255 753
Minneapolis 751 451
Oklahoma 2,025 1,215
St. Louis 1,603 962
Thunder Bay 340 204
Winnipeg 348 208
Ear Falls15995
Ignace 108 65
Pickle Lake 360 216
Red Lake 241145
Savant Lake 204122
Sioux Lookout 100 60
Vermilion Bay 6036

Crossing the Border:

To get some general border crossing information:
Make sure that you enjoy your trip to Canada. Crossing the border to Canada is generally a simple straight forward process. Just answer the CBSA border guard's questions clearly and honestly. Don't try to bring in any prohibited goods and declare all items you will be leaving behind or consuming in Canada. Go here for more detailed information regarding border crossing issues and more information regarding importing firearms

If you have troubles:
If you have had a problem at the Canadian Border regarding your entry into Canada there is a form you can fill out. Your issue will be reviewed and used in lobbying the Canada Border Services Agency to improve their handling of future entries to Canada.

Other information for you to help you get across the border:

On your way, to the destination

Radio Transmitting Equipment:
U.S. residents, are allowed to operate aircraft, marine, amateur, citizen band (CB), Family Radio Service (FRS) radios as well as cellular and PCS mobile radio telephones in Canada. For more info contact Industry Canada at or on their web site at

Road Conditions:
Information on local highway conditions and road closures is available year round from the Road Information Centre. Phone 1-800-465-5032.

The summer in Canada' Heartland is quite warm with highs around 22-24 degrees Celsius (74 degrees F) though nights can get cool. From mid-September to mid-November and from mid-March to mid-April medium to heavy weight clothing is required and there is a need to dress warmly for all of the winter months.

Public holidays in Ontario include New Years Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day (May 24th or preceding Monday), Canada Day (July 1), Civic Holiday (first Monday in August), Labour Day (first Monday in September), Thanksgiving (second Monday in October), Christmas Day and Boxing Day (Dec.26).

Canadian postage stamps must be used on all mail posted in Canada. Current postage rates may be obtained at Post Offices and retail postal outlets which operate in most communities. For more info call 1-800-267-1177

Hospital and Medical Services:
Visitors are strongly urged to obtain health insurance before leaving their home country as it is possible that their health insurance does not extend coverage outside their country of residence. Visitors are not eligible for coverage under the Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan (O.H.I.P.). For further information they should contact their travel or insurance agent.

Anyone 19 or over may buy liquor, wine and beer from government liquor stores (The LCBO) and a larger selection of beer from beer stores (Brewer's Retail Stores), both of which are located throughout the province in most communities. It is an offense to consume alcohol outside a residence or licensed establishment (which may serve liquor between the hours of 11 am and 2 am). Driving motorized vehicles, including boats while impaired is illegal and you can be convicted for refusing to take a breathalyser test or having a breathalyser reading greater than 80 mg (0.08%) of alcohol per 100 ml of blood. In Canada an Impaired Driving Conviction (DUI/DWI) is a felony conviction.

Dogs and cats over three months of age entering Canada from the United States will need certification, signed by a licensed veterinarian stating that they have been vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36 months. The certificate must provide a complete and legible description of the pet and the date of vaccination. One or three year vaccinations are acceptable. Dogs must be vaccinated in the preceding 36 month period and at least 30 days prior to reentry into the United States.

On the international money market the American dollar is worth considerably more than the Canadian dollar. Visitors are urged to exchange currency at any financial institution (banks, credit unions) soon after arrival in Canada. The Canadian dollar is the only legal tender in Canada but as a courtesy, most hotels, restaurants, retail outlets and many other businesses offer fair exchange of U.S. currency.

Credit Cards:
All major American bank cards and credit cards are honoured in Canada including VISA, Mastercard, American Express, Diner's Club, most oil company cards and businesses that operate in both countries. Credit card purchases may save you money because these purchases are billed at the U.S. dollar equivalent of the Canadian price.

Customs & Immigration:
American visitors crossing the border, either way, may be asked to prove citizenship with such documents as a passport, a birth or baptismal certificate. Naturalized U.S. citizens should carry a naturalization certificate. Permanent U.S. residents who are not citizens are advised to bring their Alien Registration Receipt Card. Citizens of all other countries, except Greenland and residents of St. Pierre and Miquelon, must have a valid passport and some also require a visitor's visa. Travellers under the age of 18 and unaccompanied by an adult need a letter of permission from a parent or guardian to travel in Canada.

Gifts up to $60(Canadian Funds) each in value are duty free provided they do not contain alcohol, tobacco or advertising material.

As long as you meet the age requirement set by the province where you enter Canada, you may import 1.5 liters of wine or 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor OR 24 x 355 ml cans or bottles of beer or ale. Those over 18 years of age may bring 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of manufactured tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.

Returning Home to the USA:

U.S. residents returning to the United States after 48 hours can take back $800.00 (U.S.) worth of merchandise, duty free, every 30 days. After less than 48 hours, $200 (U.S.) is allowed.

This may include:
• one litre of alcohol (34 ounces)
• 200 cigarettes or
• 100 cigars which are not of Cuban origin or
• 2 lbs of manufactured tobacco

For further information on entering or re-entering the United States, please contact U.S. Customs.

Sales Tax Refunds:
When visitors leave, they may be eligible for a tax refund on the goods they bought in Canada, if they take them out of the country within 60 days. More information is available in a pamphlet called 'Tax Refunds for Visitors to Canada' or by call1-800-66-VISIT